Sunday, November 10, 2013

Cracker Bark

Woo hoo!  This is my first post on the new blog and I'm so excited about it!  I previously had a great little blog that started out strong, but then I neglected it...sad, sad, sad!

This one, however, will be filled with posts about all of the fun things I have found on Pinterest and have tried to recreate! This wonderful little recipe is not from Pinterest, but came from a wonderful friend.  She gave it to me and I have been whipping it up for years now!

THIS....is the best Christmas/holiday/anytime creation in the world! I have requests for it ALL year long!  I make it for birthday presents for a few people because they just can't wait until Christmas to get some!  It sounds a little weird, but let me tell you....its AMAZING!!  I'm not sure of the "proper" name, but around here, we simply call it Cracker Bark!

Most of the ingredients needed are probably in your pantry right now:

*1.5 sleeves of saltine crackers
*1 stick of butter (the real stuff!)
*1 cup Brown sugar (I use dark, but have used light and it tastes the same)
*Chocolate chips (about 1/2 cup)
*Peanut Butter chips (about 1/2 cup)

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.


1.) Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and give it a good spray with your favorite non-stick spray.  Then place your crackers in a single layer, making sure there are no empty spaces. 
 
 
 
2.) Place butter and brown sugar in a small sauce pan over medium-high heat.  Stir while the butter melts and bring to a rolling boil. 
 
 
 
3.) Once the mixture starts to boil, pour over your crackers, being careful to cover each one.  The crackers will spread out a little and that's OK.  I always push mine back together a little with a knife.  Put the pan in the oven and bake for 5 minutes.  The toffee will be very bubbly so be extremely careful when taking it out of the oven.
 
 
 
4.)Let the cracker/toffee sit for one minute and then sprinkle the chocolate and peanut butter chips on top.  Once they start to melt, spread with an offset spatula. (**While the chocolate is still "sticky" you can put crushed crackers, crushed candy or sprinkle of any kind on top.  I usually sprinkle some crackers crumbs, but didn't in this picture.)
 
5.) Cover and put in the refrigerator for about an hour (mine NEVER last that long!).  Then, break, yes...break, into pieces of your choosing and enjoy!  I always keep this in the fridge and its good for at least 5 days (that's what I've been told, but I wouldn't know!).
 
 
I hope you enjoy this as much as we do!  If you try it, please let me know how it turned out! 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment